[ih] Link rot (was: Museum archiving (was: Re: IENs))

Joseph Touch touch at strayalpha.com
Sat May 8 17:42:51 PDT 2021

> On May 8, 2021, at 5:25 PM, John Day <jeanjour at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> Unless the original isn’t just the text. For example marginalia, or signatures, accession stamps, etc. Sometimes these things tell you something that goes beyond the content. Some times these things show up in the scanned version, sometimes they don’t.  I have seen cases where it was only seeing the original artifact provided the necessary information. It would not have been apparent in a scan of the material.

For some documents. I scanned a set of IENs at ISI. The vast majority had no such notes.

The question then also becomes - are you archiving the IENs, or “Joe's copy of the IENs, with Joe's notes”. (For some Joe). E.g., handwriting in library books could be of historical value, but also could just be defacing.

Joe