[ih] Internet-history Digest, Vol 20, Issue 4

Stephen Casner casner at acm.org
Sat May 8 15:42:59 PDT 2021

On Sat, 8 May 2021, Jake Feinler via Internet-history wrote:

> And you will be amused to know that when I told a group at ISOC that
> my wish was for a computer storage medium that lasted as long as
> paper, everyone laughed and thought I was joking.  I wasn't.

You're right.  I remember a librarian (perhaps at the Huntington
Library) saying that we have 500-year-old books that we can read
perfectly, whereas we lose that ability for modern media.  Some more
recent books printed on poor-quality paper also do not last, but for
at least some of those it's no great loss.

                                                        -- Steve