[ih] Fwd: How Plato Influenced the Internet

Toerless Eckert tte at cs.fau.de
Thu Jun 10 13:23:31 PDT 2021

Hah & thanks. History of the network wrt. latency and gaming. Fun topic.

Games without a competitive real-time element worked best
over early WANs. Such as round based strategy games. We always played in the
late 80th/early 90th Xconq between multiple universities interconnected with
64kbps WAN links. That of course was a complete waste of bandwidth given how
Xconq is s single game engine with every player just being a remote Xdisplay
and hence running the really not bandwidth optimized Xwindows rendering
protocol across the WAN. Worked great until more users started to share
the 64kbps links. At which point i actually had to figure out how to QoS
prioritize TCP port 6000 on the WAN "routers".  But that of course was
more bandwidth than lantecy QoS. And of course never tried to rely on TOS bits.

The real experience of serious low-latency requirements can be happened shortly
thereafter, locally, when i had to split up a LAN into two, interconnected by
a CPU based router and then the quite competitive doom & quake players
complained that some of them now always lost. The ones NOT on the LAN
as the game master instance of course. Alas, i can not quite remember the exact
forwarding latency across that router hop. Something like 10 msec i think.
I ended up having to re wire a few workstations to the opposite LAN to
serve latency.

Cheers
    Toerless