[ih] DNS origins?

Eric Gade eric.gade at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 13:02:59 PDT 2021

On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 3:29 PM Dave Crocker via Internet-history <

> So I believe the general concept of the administrative/semantic
> hierarchy -- distinct from the distributed operational query mechanism
> -- was fully set by Fall of 1982.  (I'm not saying the latter wasn't but
> that I don't know anything about that part of the design timeline.)

In my own research on this topic <https://gade.us/thesis/>, I found that
the specific kind of hierarchy (that is to say, some combination of fixed
gTLDs along with the ccTLDs) was not all put together until about May 1984.
This is when Postel sent out a draft RFC that changed the initial proposed
named likc COR and PUB to COM and ORG, and also added the ISO-3166
country-code names. I cover some of this in my paper on the topic.

Anyone interested in other aspects of this should also check out Jake
Feinler's paper from a few years ago
<https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/5986499> that also provides more
detail.
--