[ih] Historical documents/books online ? (was: Re: distributed network control: Usenet)

Toerless Eckert tte at cs.fau.de
Mon Jul 26 10:19:59 PDT 2021

Btw: is there any organized efforts to help make historically relevant
work available ? For example such books as "The Matrix" and others
mention here ?

I talked to someone whose book is still in print at Springer, and he already
made the upfront deal to forego royalties, and in return Springer granted the
right for him to put up the PDF for free on the Internet. He also said
that  once a book goes out of print, Authors typically do get permission
from their publishers to make such online version freely available.

Given how many of the historical books of interest in the contex of this
list have authors who are still around do something like emailing
to their publisher and getting a BDF version together, it would be
great if there was a site summarzing such guidance and providing
useful pointers, such as sites where such old book PDF could be
posted (e.g.: i wouldn't know if arxiv would be appropriate for example),
because obviously you wouldn't want books on some non-long-lived
web page like an authors personal one...

I fear that special interests books are much more easy vanishing han
being preserved if this doesn't get organized...

Cheers
    Toerless