[ih] distributed network control: Usenet

Craig Partridge craig at tereschau.net
Mon Jul 26 05:34:21 PDT 2021

The NNSC was intended to serve as something like the DDN NIC.  User
information at a central point.

We did a bunch of educational seminars (taught folks joining NSFNET what
the DNS was, how to configure their servers, etc.).  We published a
newsletter, etc.

The NNSC had only one technical staff member -- me, half-time.  And I did
no operational work.  However, NSF did ask me to look at issues in network
management, which led to HEMS, which strongly influenced SGMP/SNMP.

Craig