[ih] distributed network control: Usenet

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Wed Jul 21 08:50:35 PDT 2021

Well... yes.  I wasn't quite sure if you were alluding to BBN - I kind
of thought you might have been referring to either DoD or the US Government.

Still - what about the various component networks - like NASA SPAN, and
the European nets?  Or did those come later?

Miles

Jack Haverty via Internet-history wrote:
> Weren't those all managed by the same organization or its contractor,
> in the early 80s before EGP?
>
> I remember that at one point BBN was the contractor managing CSNET
> (Dick Edmiston).   NSFNET started in mid-80s and IIRC was thoroughly
> dominated by Dave Mills' Fuzzballs.  Our experiences when Dave was
> experimenting with connecting his Fuzzies to the core Internet was a
> primary motivator for EGP, which made it possible for Fuzzies to
> connect and do their thing without impacting the core.   BBN had some
> managerial role in NSFNET too IIRC.
>
> After EGP, and probably more importantly BGP, the world of
> Internetworking changed.
>
> /Jack

>> Really?  NASA SPAN, DOEnet, then CSnet, and then the Supercomputer
>> Center Networks, and the NSFnet regionals & Backbone?

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown