[ih] distributed network control: Usenet

Toerless Eckert tte at cs.fau.de
Tue Jul 20 16:11:24 PDT 2021

Alas, i also stopped using public usenet  groups almost 2 decades ago
(after operating it myself for almost 2 decades).

At the office, we still used email list mirrors into private usenet groups just
to be able to use the usenet tooling (NNTP and newsreader) instead of
tenths or hundreds of users subscribing to the very same mailing lists,
but ultimately,  with the trend from unix CLI to Windows/Mac/Browser
user-interfaces, that tooling benefits pretty much vanished.

AFAIK, for the last > 10 years, public usenet is primarily for distribution
of likely often legally questionable large, segmented binary content.
AFAIK, relatively few specialized ISPs are still offering usenet as
a chargeable service for access to this content.

Cheers
    Toerless