[ih] a single organization "managing the network"

Toerless Eckert tte at cs.fau.de
Tue Jul 20 16:02:48 PDT 2021

Reminds me of some financial network that had two pretty
independent physical network infrastructures for resilience. But only one
management plane / operator entity that could roll out changes across both
networks. Guess what happened so that this "single administrative" approach
was changed. But hey, that was just some billion of money trading network
where you loose millions $$ per unit of time when it does not work, but you
don't loose something irreproducable.

Are current Internet archive mirrors at least versioning, deduplicating archives
that never throw away old versions ? That would a least protect against loss through
origin mistakes.

There are the IMHO really evil proof of capacity cryptocurrencies that will
cause disk space to be more and more abused. I wonder if it would be possible
to design a cryptocurrency such that the space wasn't wasted but was
some, at least privately reversible mirror of an actual useful data set,
such as (parts of) the Internet archive. Ideally with an incentive to cache
data that the least number of other participants have cached he same data -
which could/should create incentive for even amoun of caching across a
large dataset...

Pretty sure this will not work. Otherwise there wold be something useful
coming out of cryptocurrencies..

Cheers
    Toerless