[ih] early DNS, A paper that has something to to with the Internet

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Tue Jul 20 12:41:01 PDT 2021

While I'm thinking of it, there's another part of Internet History and
DNS...

IIRC, DNS appeared as a replacement for the files of "hostnames" that
the NIC maintained but which had become unwieldy as the network grew.
I don't recall the details, but it always seemed to me that the "Mail
Records" aspect of DNS was sort of glued on to DNS as a convenient way
to add another kind of data to the network service.    So DNS didn't
just tell you what address to use to connect to a host, but also
specified where to send its mail.

Then in the early 1990s, I was working at Oracle, and we had a similar
need.   Database users (basically the hordes of people in corporations
with some kind of terminal in front of them) wanted to connect to
databases, by name.   E.g., some might connect to "Accounting", others
to "Inventory", others to "Sales", "Personnel", "Physical Plant" etc.

At the time that struck me as a problem simlar to the DNS' Mail
functionality.  One design choice could have been to add another record
type or two to DNS, or perhaps even generalize DNS to include "Service"
records, permitting numerous different services to then be referenced by
name as Mail was.   Want to know where to send mail -- get the MX
record.   Want to use Accounting -- get the SVC record.

That would certainly have been possible, but we didn't pursue it. It
wasn't reasonable to rely on an Internet-specific mechanism because, at
that point in time, essentially all corporations were using something
other than TCP.  Although they usually had TCP somewhere in the
organization (brought in by those radical new college grads no doubt!),
most core functions of the company still ran on something else - SNA,
DECNet, Netware, even Appletalk (seemed to be popular in Marketing).

We needed Naming that would work anywhere, even if there was no
IP-capable network.  So we created some software called Oracle Names,
which did pretty much the same things as DNS but would do it in any
flavor of network and even across different networks by means of an
"Interchange" (which was analogous to an IP gateway in the cloud
diagrams I drew to explain it).

It turned out that was amazingly easy to do.   Once I was indoctrinated
into the world of databases, by the immersion osmosis method of being
surrounded by people who all lived and breathed databases, it was easy
to see DNS, and naming mechanisms in general, as a fairly simple and
straightforward database  program, built on top of the distributed,
replicated, database technology that we could assume was going to be
present in our customers' networks.

Timing seems to be an important factor in the History of the Internet.
Databases (relational) weren't really prominent, especially in the
academic and research communities I experienced, in the early 80s, and
SQL, i.e., the protocol which makes databases easy to use, hadn't yet
fully congealed as a standard.   I had heard of databases, but knew
little about them before joining Oracle.

I wonder how the Internet mechanisms would have evolved if the timing
had been a bit different, and the people who built the early network
mechanisms had been able to consider using database technology or
techniques when designing  mechanisms such as DNS.

/Jack Haverty