[ih] A paper

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 19:14:48 PDT 2021

On 19-Jul-21 13:03, Jack Haverty via Internet-history wrote:
> One of the design principles of the network (which
> may not appear in "documentation") was that the network must not have
> any single point of control, no one in charge.

That was indeed the key to worldwide success, far beyond its necessity
for "national security" reasons. Even today, the Internet seems
remarkably hard to switch off, even in totalitarian states.

I think it is in the documentation. Paul Baran wrote it down explicitly,
way before ARPANET was conceived.

[BARAN, P. 1964. On Distributed Communication Networks, IEEE Trans. on
Communications Systems, CS-12:1-9]

    Brian