[ih] A paper

vinton cerf vgcerf at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 07:57:03 PDT 2021

TCP/IP benefitted from the NCP work on ARPANET and the application
protocols that were developed such as TELNET, FTP and eventually SMTP among
others. The first paper on TCP was published in May 1974 and detailed TCP
specifications were the product of a team working at Stanford with visitors
from Norway, France, Japan and Xerox PARC and were released as RFC 675 in
December 1974. Implementation started in 1975 at Stanford, BBN, University
College London and SRI International. In the Fall of 1976, I joined Bob
Kahn at ARPA and implementation and refinement of the protocols continued.
During these formative years leading up to the TCP/IP flag day on January
1, 1983, I do not recall anything but pragmatics driving the development.
We were all focused on getting internetworking to work with different
packet networking technologies and different computer types and operating
systems. The original Network Working Group philosophy permeated this
effort as did the subsequent International Network Working Group which
later became IFIP 6.1. The protocol architecture was deliberately kept open
to new ideas and participation expanded from those under research contract
to DARPA to a broader community as the capability became more widely
available through research and education networks, commercial sources, and
open implementations for operating systems from IBM, Digital Equipment
Corporation, Hewlett-Packard, Berkeley (ATT/UNIX), BBN's TENEX, 3COM, SUN
Microsystems and others.

Attempts to retrofit political motivations onto what was a pragmatic
engineering effort strike me as strained and artificial.  Speaking for
myself, in the late 1980s, I felt a personal motivation to see the
technology commercialized and welcomed INTEROP and the eventual permission
to interconnect the commercial MCI Mail system (along with others) to the
Internet because I hoped an economic engine could be ignited to support
access to the Internet by the general public and private sector. I was
enthusiastic about the founding of the Internet Society, partly as a legal
home for the IETF/IRTF/IAB and also as a means to promote a philosophy
(policy) of open networking. Perhaps more political elements can be
discerned especially with the arrival of the World Wide Web and the
numerous applications that capability spawned.

On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 9:48 AM Andrew G. Malis via Internet-history <