[ih] In defence of email, the tech marvel we couldn’t do without (Joanne McNeil)

the keyboard of geoff goodfellow geoff at iconia.com
Wed Jul 7 12:44:56 PDT 2021

*Don’t blame the medium for our inbox anxiety. The more fundamental issue
is how work dominates our lives*
EXCERPT:

I am about to defend the seemingly indefensible: email, the inbox, all of
it. And yes, I’m offering this case at a time when it might sound
especially unlikely. This is the season of holiday responder messages and
out-of-office replies. The back-and-forth of delayed communications makes
email an especially draining project during the summer.

I’m not unfamiliar with the paralysing anxiety that settles in when I see a
notification that my unread messages total some ungodly number. I probably
owe an email to a percentage of people reading this. (Sorry! Things are a
bit busy!) And I’d love to never see the words “hope this message finds you
well” again in my life. But the decentralised wonder that is email isn’t
the cause of my stress; the real problem is work and too much of it, as
relayed through these messages. When it comes to communications systems,
email – a technology that’s 50 years old this year – is hard to beat.

Email is the product of a number of independently forged developments. In
1965, Tom Van Vleck and Noel Morris
<https://multicians.org/thvv/mail-history.html> released a computer
messaging program at Massachusetts Institute of Technology. As part of
what’s known as a time-sharing system, users at individual terminals could
message other users that were all connected to the same mainframe computer.
Four years later, Charley Kline at UCLA and Bill Duvall at Stanford
Research Institute contacted each other
<https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=114280698&t=1625224505210>
in
the first Arpanet connection. This was a publicly funded network system