[ih] Why is MAXNS set to 3

Kevin Dunlap kevin at dunlap.org
Sun Feb 28 09:07:37 PST 2021

Someone pointed out to me that I did the code check-in to the source code
repository for UC Berkeley CSRG (BSD) in October 1985.
Code change set MAXNS to 3.  Now someone over 35 years is questions why.
I would say setting it to 3 has stood the test of time.

MAXNS is in the resolver code, designed to be fairly light weight since it
lives in libC.
If you wanted DNS caching you put a recursive caching only name server on
the local system that would do all the real resolution work and cache the
results for other DNS resolutions.
Back in 1985 named, name server, would occasionally crash. So by setting
MAXNS to three would give the resolver the opportunity to try the localhost
name server and two backups.  Hopefully, you set the two backup nameservers
to ones in you LAN. Setting to nameservers across the internet would not
result in speedy name resolution.

-Kevin
Formally, kjd at monet.Berkeley.EDU