[ih] Funny how things work out

Toerless Eckert tte at cs.fau.de
Tue Feb 2 08:29:57 PST 2021

On Mon, Feb 01, 2021 at 01:19:30PM -0800, Dave Crocker via Internet-history wrote:
> On 2/1/2021 12:55 PM, Jack Haverty via Internet-history wrote:
> > Hi Dave,
> >
> > I agree that the DNS was never intended as a searching mechanism.  It
> > has always done "lookup", converting strings into IP addresses.
> >
> > That's a view from the Technology side.  I was thinking as an end User,
> > where the History of the Internet looks somewhat different.
>
> While users often misunderstand exact lookup from approximate search, I
> think the issue has always been present.  I don't think there is anything
> different now vs. 30 years ago, regarding this point.

There is nothing "principally" different, there only only everything
"practically" different to users. It is exactly like like comparing lookup/search
for anything in a freshly built town of a few thousand people with looking up /
searching something on the whole planet and not even knowing whether its a name from
roman times.

Aka: Beside growth and increase of user confusion by more and more TLDs,
there are also more and dead or reassigned/shared domains.

Would really be nice to have an eternal assignment history list of at least 2..3 level
deep. Public. Why isn't there a blockchain for domain assignments ? Done right, that
would give that functionality for free.

Toerless
---
tte at cs.fau.de