[ih] Funny how things work out

Eric Gade eric.gade at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 15:43:11 PST 2021

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 6:35 PM Scott O. Bradner via Internet-history <

> may because they got the domain in 1996 - before .us was seen as a “real”
> domain?
>
> Scott

As far as I could tell, the ambiguity about when to use any ccTLD vs using
a gTLD was a problem almost from the beginning. I cover some of this in my
thesis (available here <https://gade.us/thesis>). For a lot of people the
US TLD was seen as redundant, because the gTLDs themselves became
considered the "American" ones. For example, GOV didn't apply to all kinds
of governments internationally. EDU also had this issue (ac.uk for
example). This was all controversial well before 1990.

--
Eric