[ih] Funny how things work out

Patrik Fältström paf at frobbit.se
Mon Feb 1 12:21:34 PST 2021

On 1 Feb 2021, at 20:47, Brian E Carpenter via Internet-history wrote:

>> The pre-ICANN effort of the IAHC included a survey of various DNS
>> experts.  While there was no consensus about the technical limits of the
>> DNS or its operation, there was a pretty solid view that a couple of
>> thousand TLDs would not be a technical problem.
>
> Yes. The IAB statement was intentionally both vague and cautious. After all, 999,000 is still "thousands".

Note that there is a difference between the number of TLDs and the rate by which they are added. In many discussions I have been involved in, it is the rate that scares more than a number. We know running a zone with "lots of entries" is not such a big problem. We know how to do that. Also sort of how to handle high rate of changes to such a zone.

But, for the root zone, going too fast from "small, with small number of changes per time unit" to "a large zones with large number of changes", is a move that scares at least me. Specifically after looking into the issues quite a bit. It scares me a lot more than the end game. The root zone is used in many many ways today that is built upon the assumption it is small and do not change often.

   Patrik