[ih] Funny how things work out

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Mon Feb 1 07:31:52 PST 2021

On 2/1/2021 2:33 AM, Bill Woodcock via Internet-history wrote:
>   - Brand protection (someone else can’t abuse it to CERN’s detriment)

The appeal of protective acquisition is obvious but it's field efficacy
is not.  Brand strings can occur in too many ways.  And then there are
cousin strings.

>   - URL shortening (users don’t have to guess and type .ch at the end)

Again, a reasonable, localized bit of optimization but with no
demonstration of human factors efficacy.  The 'benefit' needs to be
considered in the context of an average person's overall use of domain
names.

>   - Shortened DNSSEC trust hierarchy

In the absence of widespread adoption and use of DNSSec, this, too, is
only a theoretical benefit.  It makes sense in the abstract but I
believe there is no experience in the wild that shows this is a
meaningful benefit.

d/
--
Dave Crocker