[ih] Interop historical material?

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Wed Dec 1 12:58:24 PST 2021

On 11/22/21 6:26 PM, Jack Haverty via Internet-history wrote:
> Speaking of Interop....
>
> Has any of the material from the Interops been preserved?   There were
> administrative pieces, like lists of vendors, floor maps, titles of
> sessions, speakers' presentations, attendee lists, and such as well as
> mountains of presentation slides, papers, vendor handouts, and
> promotional material.

I was a leader of the team that designed and deployed the Interop nets
from the outset in the late 1980's.  Many of the early show nets were
designed at my house.  My now wife worked at Dan Lynch's company ACE
("Another Cute Employee") trying to manage the herd of cats that was the
shownet team.

A lot of material from Interop exists.  There is an active body of folks
who designed, deployed, and operated the show net over the years.

My own website has some ancient materials
(https://cavebear.com/archive/interop/) including the handout from the
tours we gave of the net infrastructure.  (BTW, the very first of those
tours was the one I gave to you and Vint at one of our DC shows.)

There was also the Linda Feferman film from an early show -
https://youtu.be/SMkKIaHee4c   I'd sure like to get a better print of
that, or better the original, uncut footage.

Those of us who worked on the Interop net have masses of materials
cached away, much of it online.

But some was definitely not preserved - we never talked about our movie
nights when we'd take over some comfortable vendor booth at night when
the show was closed and watch movies and pass around a lot of single
malt - most of which we bought using Dan Lynch's credit card.

And more than one of us met our then-to-be spouses while working on the
show net.

The show had a rule - connect and try to interoperate.  We were not nice
to vendors who tried to be islands.  And when we did find a vendor that
was doing bad things (whether by intent or accident) we were not slow to
cut them off.

We had to make things work - this was practical networking at its finest
and most stressful.  We had to cover every detail from connectors and
splicing to multi-homed BGP to IP multicast to ATM VPI/VCI routing to
dragging wire through parking lots and coring buildings.

There were several dimensions to the show net.  The most obvious was the
topology.  We had 45/8 as our address space that we dragged around from
place to place.  Not long after we started we multi-homed that address
block, which often severely stressed the route damping of our external
connectivity providers as we bounced up and down in the days when we
brought up that block in a new location.

What was not seen was the evolution from a star configuration to a
rather massive rib-and-spine physical topology.  We had to get the basic
infrastructure into a convention center fairly quickly before the trucks
came onto the floor.  We had to invent a system of pull-down drops with
bungie cords to stay out of the way of the trucks.  And within minutes
after closing we had to release those drops back to the ceiling to get
out of the way of the trucks removing the vendors stuff.  And there was
a lot of other network cable infrastructure that went out to areas other
than the show floor.  For example, we often had laser scopes on building
rooftops to provide links to other locations.

We had everything.  In the early shows we had TCP/IP, ISO/OSI, DECnet,
and Netware.  We had lots and lots of routers - we had pairs of Cisco's
and Wellfleets and I think some Proteon and 3COM routers.  We had lots
of media types.  The early shows used yellow hose ethernet but we jumped
onto Synoptics and David Systems twisted pair ethernet the moment we
first saw it.  We also had FDDI (and we found bugs in the
specifications) and ATM and just about everything else, including
ethernet-over-barbed wire.  We were also fairly intent on making IP
multicast work (and it did.)

Rarely seen were the warehouses where we built the intrastructure before
the show and did a lot of testing (including full power-off/restore
testing.)  We would build the net and pack it onto large trucks for
shipping to the convention centers.  I remember us loading 46 large
trucks on one occasion.  Dave Bridgham (FTP Software) and I were
considering buying a used C130 as a way to move some of our gear,
especially when we had a fast shift, such as from Las Vegas to Paris or
Tokyo in a week or two.

The convention centers were large - it was physically impossible to get
around when things went awry.  So we deployed an entirely separate
physical network that we called the "spy network".  We used this for
several things.  One was to get to terminal servers that attached to the
RS232 serial ports of all our our infrastructure devices.  That way we
could get control from our NOC.  We also had systems of mirrors mounted
on piezo-electric crystal steering devices so that we could switch the
fiber optic links of the spy network so that we could drop a packet
sniffer anywhere we wanted.  (We had passive splitters on many of the
fiber links.)

We also used a lot of rather heavy grade fiber cables - we ended up
depleting the US military's stockpile of certain many-strand,
quick-connect fiber connectors.

I developed the first Internet "butt set" as a tool to get out on the
floor and begin diagnosing problems within seconds after arrival.
(Parts of that still exist in some of the tools now sold by companies
such as Fluke and one of my fellow designers of that went on to form
other diagnostic tool companies, such as Air Magnet.)

We had a lot of fun doing the show net.  For instance we had very early
VoIP - I remember being on a call with NTIA about the yet-to-be formed
ICANN and mentioned that I was calling over the net (from the show
floor) and hearing some very surprised sounds from people who did not
know that such a thing was even possible.

And on another occasion I used some early RTP/RTCP based audio-video
software from Precept Software - I had a camera+microphone duct-taped
onto a hardhat and carried a laptop with a stack of batteries duct-taped
on.  I sort of looked like a terrorist-in-training.  I interviewed
people on the show floor. My wife called it the "husband cam" because
she could see everyone I looked at - and I looked a lot: in those days
the vendor booths often had what we referred to as "booth bunnies".

The show was a target for attack.  The very first attack was rather mild
- Carl Malamud and I were setting up some NCD Xterms and suddenly a
foreign desktop appeared on all of them.  Someone was trying to steal
username/password pairs via faux login screens.

The net at the shows was just a thin layer over the work to get that net
deployed.  We had to deal with immature technologies, new
implementations, and constraints that were often far from technical.
For instance, we had senior union electricians who figured they could
bend, cut, and splice our coax cables - or worse, our fiber optic
cables. We learned how to deal with the unions - from peeling off bills
from thick wads of twenties, to pointing out that fiber optic cables are
pipes for light and perhaps could be better handled by people from the
plumbers' unions, to simply bringing along our own, and trusted, union
electricians.)  We weren't always within the law - like when we pulled
fiber optics through the active railroad tunnels at the Atlanta
convention center.

We were a smelly bunch - convention centers are not air conditioned
while the trucks are going in/out.  And in Las Vegas that meant working
in 100F+ heat.  And we would work 24 hours a day for days on end.  We
had to mandate sleep and shower periods.   (But even then we were a
smelly bunch - for instance when we got snowed in in DC and trucks
started dumping manure for a garden show days before we were able to get
out networking gear out.)

In addition to the tech a lot of other stuff happened.  For instance I
first met a friend by climbing through her car window as we went to blow
off steam doing some white water rafting in western Pennsylvania.
About 30 of us (all wearing Motorola radios that kept squawking) got
mugged directly in front of the White House.  (Although the muggers had
guns I think our group was better armed - one does not realize how
useful to networking a good knife can be.)  We had parties, such as when
we rented the Air and Space museum in DC, the roof of the the La Defense
arch in Paris, and the Howard Hughes Suite (two floors) at the now gone
Desert Inn in Las Vegas.

         --karl--