[ih] Why was MAE East located in Northern Virginia?

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Tue Aug 31 16:05:07 PDT 2021

> On Sep 1, 2021, at 12:12 AM, Scott O. Bradner via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:
> I am quite sure that MAE East predated the NSF NAPs by quite a few years

Predated, yes, but only by about a year.  Steve Feldman would be the best person to recount the specifics, he was the principal engineer on the MAE.  My recollection is that the MAE was stood up in 1992, while the NII was implemented in 1993.

> NSF later designated MAE East as a NAP which may be the bases of the story

Yes, along with the Pac Bell NAP, Ameritech, and the Sprint NAP in Pennsauken.

> I tink the Wikipedia story you point to is the correct version
>> Wikipedia says a bunch of ISP CEOs decided to interconnect there
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAE-East.

Yes, that looks correct to me.

                                -Bill