[ih] Better-than-Best Effort

Dan Lynch dan at lynch.com
Sat Aug 28 19:10:35 PDT 2021

And in 1980 I was hired by ISI to run that farm of PDP-10s and follow on machines. For a year or so the plan was to get even bigger, but then one day Bob Kahn told me my job was changed!  The era of personal computers was unfolding and my role was to buy 3 of each one and try to put them on the nascent Internet and see which ones worked and which ones didn’t. I bought the early Sun machines, from Cadlinc, not Sun yet, Perqs from CMU and BLTs from some part of Bell Labs I think, and early Vaxes from Dec and I tried to get the early Dolfins from Xerox and the first Stars. Oh, and this was to be the end of Timesharing!  And eventually it was, eh? After a few years of doing this I left ISI for Silicon Valley to get in on the revolution. Eventually I  realized that the Internet was taking off and I started Interop to teach the world how to make the Internet work for them.

Thanks for the ride.

Dan

Ps. Oh, Steve  Crocker was on the hiring committee that selected me😁❗️

Cell 650-776-7313