[ih] Better-than-Best Effort

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 15:15:11 PDT 2021

On 28-Aug-21 11:24, Jack Haverty via Internet-history wrote:
> Well, some of us actually foresaw the eventual need for management
> mechanisms like a "Settlement Protocol".   For example, somewhere in the
> late 80s I asked Cyndi Mills to drive an IETF activity on "Usage
> Accounting", or something like that, so it would be possible as a first

> step to actually gather data on usage of the net.   That led to things
> like RFC 1272 (see https://sandbox.ietf.org/doc/rfc1272/ )
>
> But "rough consensus" was the hurdle to jump, and anything that had the

> taint of possible money issues involved was soundly suppressed by the
> research community.   So as the Internet became a commercial
> infrastructure, things like a "Settlement Protocol" were missing.
>
> That's another piece of the Internet History of What Didn't Happen.

Interesting. I'd say that effort fell like a small rock into deep water
and was never seen again. Of course, there's been a lot of work on
measurement of all kinds since then, but mainly for operational purposes
and traffic engineering in particular. Usage-based charging, or at least
data caps, have crept in at the subscriber edge, but otherwise the
industry has gone in for capacity-based charging.

Settlements has always been a dirty word. After I posted
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-carpenter-metrics-00
in 1996, I was taken off for a quiet lunch which turned into a
good roasting by a couple of *very* senior ISP folk. Why? They
hated any talk of this topic because they were very concerned about
the Sherman Act.

   Brian