[ih] Better-than-Best Effort

Toerless Eckert tte at cs.fau.de
Fri Aug 27 14:44:26 PDT 2021

On Fri, Aug 27, 2021 at 04:24:05PM -0400, Scott O. Bradner wrote:
> when the ITU-T was starting work on NGN, which assumed QoS that users would select & pay for, I said
> in a panel at the ITU “the Internet is not reliably crappy enough to drive that business plan”

That IMHO very much depends on the actual application requirements

> specifically, the Internet works for VoIP (for example) too much of the time
> for anyone to be willing to pay extra for QoS that would only apply a small part of the time and would not deal. with many problems (like a tree falling & taking out your local access)

Counterpoints:

>From my experience, SPs that in the past decade migrated their own analog/digital
infrastructure to VoIP do use DiffServ to protect it and to be able to provide the
same flawless quality as they had in before. And of course, those SPs will never
offer such a DiffServ network option to any OTT voip provideer because QoS is one of
the few distinguishing aspects that an OTT can not easily clone. So with this data
point i would re-emphasize that i think business models and regulations for equal
access to nework services are a key challenge to enable use of better network services.

Besides: 90% of all TCP/IP use is not the Internet, but in limited domain networks, and
you will find a lot of QoS there, especially also when its being sold as managed services.
Its the fine-grained business model of Internet subscribers where so far no business
model evolved that would not compete with biger gains through siloed platforms such as
SP owned VoIP service (see above).

> the response from the BT person was “we are missing a TCP settlement protocol”

I thought we had that. In 2020, we had national politicans asking CEOs of content
streamers like Netflix to reduce streaming rates during Corona to allow more WFH productivity,
and i think tha was actually done for a few months by several countries in Network if i
remember correctly.

Does that count ?

Ok. Fun aside.

How do you call it when SPs need to do per-flow and per-subscriber policing of traffic
to re-balance the unfairness introduced by a variability of aggressivness of deployed CCs, especially
those like torrents that easily eat bandwidth persistently like an ideal gas ? This type of overcoming
basic limitations of the end-to-end CC architecture of the Internet has been deployed by SPs
for a long time and is of course becoming ever more difficult to recreate the desired fairness
the more end-to-end encryption is used by application.

Why do we have BOFs for something like MADINAS ?

Cheers
    Toerless