[ih] Better-than-Best Effort

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Fri Aug 27 10:50:46 PDT 2021

Totally agree!  I was referring to the "plumbing" layer of The Internet,
i.e., the basic IP datagram delivery service.  But certainly the
"silo-ization virus" is well entrenched in application layers like
messaging/email.   Apparently  it's working its way downward from the
skins we see as applications through the layers towards the bones of the
IP service, metastasizing through the whole stack.

An interesting question for historians might be "Why?".

Email has a long history of silo-izing.    I wonder if that occurred
partly because we never proceeded very aggressively beyond the "simple"
functionality of SMTP, and silos evolved to satisfy unmet needs.  So,
for example, I have several "email accounts" provided by medical groups,
financial groups, etc., that require me to visit their silo to read/send
mail with them.   Sometimes they send me regular SMTP email to let me
know that I should log in to seen my new mail.

I suspect one reason for their choice of a silo was the desire to be
able to trust the identity and security of the parties involved in any
conversation.  Although the header of this email says it's from "Jack
Haverty", most of us know that you can't really trust such information -
even when it comes from your old friend the Banker in Nigeria whom you
can't remember.   Silos provide a bit more assurance, and might even
keep your email from being read by someone along the way so they can
send you better targeted advertising (except of course for that
particular silo's operator).

Curiously, there is some technology in the SMTP-email world to address
such needs.   My email app (Thunderbird) has the ability to sign and/or
encrypt my email, using apparently well-publicized standards.   I don't
know how well it actually works, but from observation I can tell that
very few people and organizations I interact with seem to have embraced
it.    In thousands of emails, perhaps there have been a few that
arrived "signed".   But just a miniscule fraction.  I don't think I've
ever seen one come encrypted.

So the question is "Why not?"   This is another example of the Internet
History of what didn't happen....for historians perhaps to ponder.

/Jack