[ih] How Plato Influenced the Internet

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Mon Aug 23 15:23:53 PDT 2021

On 8/23/2021 2:15 PM, Brian E Carpenter via Internet-history wrote:
> Incidentally, re the subject line of this thread, I used to annoy Tim
> Berners-Lee by telling him that the web was "the fluff on top of the
> Internet". I think this discussion has confused matters a bit, because
> that's what PLATO presumably influenced, not the infrastructure.

Awareness of Plato was certainly pervasive in the Arpanet community and,
I think, it was well-regarded.

But I believe it had no direct influence on the development on any of
the popular application protocols.

That leaves what we now call UX, perhaps.  That is, the fluff on top of
the fluff.

d/

--
Dave Crocker