[ih] Fwd: How Plato Influenced the Internet

Brian Dear brian at platohistory.org
Mon Aug 23 06:57:47 PDT 2021

To be clear, PLATO III (1963-1972) had an graphical, interactive
charset/bitmap editor (created to replace  the extremely tedious exercise
of creating character sets by declaring a series of octal codes), and that
graphical editor was ported to the more sophisticated PLATO IV  (1972
onwards). The PLATO III bitmap editor was first done around 1967.

I was never able to establish a direct linkage between the PARC’s bitmap
font editor and PLATO’s, but put ‘em side to side and the resemblance is
uncanny. Would welcome any insights from PARC alumni.

- Brian