[ih] How Plato Influenced the Internet

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Sat Aug 21 06:25:12 PDT 2021

Yea, the display technology was interesting but otherwise it was just another timesharing system, and really not all that great of one. Here is part of what I sent them last night off-list. I didn’t think others would be interested. I have said it here before:

To refresh others:  Our group was the ARPANET node at Illinois and developed 3 OSs from scratch. One proven secure, and one which experimented fairly deeply with the leverage of an extensible OS language, in addition to the what is recounted here. Pete Alsberg became the manager of the group at one point (slightly tweaked):

> Around 75, Alsberg was teaching an OS class at DCL. One of the Plato guys was taking the course. They were in the process of building the new Plato OS. They did a computation in class and predicted that the system would top out at so many terminals. (Well, below their target.) Soon after that, Alsberg was at a party with the guy in charge of the system development. (The name is on the tip of my tongue, I can see his face. Remind me of a few names, it wasn’t Bitzer, Finally came to me. (Weird) It was Paul Tenszar (sp? that doesn’t look right) ). The guy got a funny look on his face. They had hit the limit that day and it was within one or two terminals of the prediction.
>
> As I said earlier, we put the first Unix on the ’Net in the summer of ’75. Got a few of the Plato terminals. Stripped down Unix to fit on an LSI-11, added touch to the screen. all on a short cabinet that so you could sit at and use it. Hooked up to NARIS the land-use planning system for the 6 counties around Chicago as an ‘intelligent terminal.’ You could do maps down to the square mile with different patterns for use, the usual graphs, etc. all without a keyboard. (it had a keyboard but it was only needed for data entry.) We also installed a few of the terminals with different application in DC (Reston), at CINCPAC in Hawaii, and possible a few others I don’t remember. While we were doing that, we also added non-blocking IPC to UNIX. All it had was pipes. NARIS was a distributed database application that used databases on both coasts and we used the ARPANET. We did a fair amount of distributed database research in that period as well and worked out the issues of network partition, which as near as I can tell are still not clearly understood.
>
> I am afraid we just didn’t see Plato as all that interesting, a traditional mainframe and terminals system. And they pretty well kept to themselves. We were probably both wrong.

Take care,
John

The reason I remember the one at CINCPAC was that one of the stories that got back was, that they had been invited to an evening at the CINC’s home. The next Saturday morning our guy showed up at CINCPAC in a T-shirt and shorts to work on the installation. The guard was giving him grief, when the CINC strode in. Greeted our guy with a friendly remark about the gathering a few nights before and headed on in. The following conversation ensued: The guard a bit uncomfortable: You know the CINC? Yup. You know him pretty well? Yup. Errr, I guess it would be okay.  ;-) And our guy was able to get to work.