[ih] Minutes before Trump left office, millions of the Pentagon's dormant IP addresses sprang to life

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Mon Apr 26 11:57:08 PDT 2021

On 4/26/21 10:46 AM, Scott Brim via Internet-history wrote:

>> I have read several of the articles on this, anyone know what was really
>> going on?

> **Apparently** the DoD has contracted with that company to detect people
> using net 11 and clean them up. The advertisement is legit, the agreement
> is legit, and it's too bad nobody thought to let the (rest of the) Internet
> know they were about to advertise 11/8.

If they are advertising this as a single /8 it is unlikely that they
will catch many folks who are camping on smaller blocks of that space
because route selection will tend to use the longest match prefix rather
the the rather short /8 prefix.

If they really want to sweep the space to locate usurping uses they
probably need to advertise that /8 as a sequence of /24s.  And rather
than announcing all 64K of those at once (and probably generating a lot
of complaints among the BGP community) they would probably need to do a
few at a time, letting them sit for a week or two, and then retracting
them.  That will take long time to do (years.)

We used to have a distantly related issue on the Interop show network,
45/8 (which we broke down as /21 subnets.)  Various vendors had gear
that would try to explore the entire space - and they had never
encountered anything larger than a /24 before.

	--karl--