[ih] astonishing patron saint of the Internet

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Mon Apr 12 07:22:47 PDT 2021

Of course, Vint & Bob are still with us, and too modest for Sainthood. :-)

Now Licklider...

Jack Haverty via Internet-history wrote:
> Ahah!   So Isidore invented the Internet in the 7th century.   I always
> thought it was you and Bob Kahn.   /Jack
>

> On 4/11/21 2:55 PM, vinton cerf via Internet-history wrote:
>> Dear Vint
>>
>> This Wednesday I am doing a brief presentation about my 1473 copy of
>> Isidore of Seville. *Etymologiae* at a Zoom session of the Grolier Club.
>>
>> I came across this factoid which I share with you in case of the unlikely
>> possibility that you were not aware of it.
>>
>> In 1997 Pope John Paul II declared Isidore of Seville the patron saint of
>> the internet. Saint Isidore died in the year 636, long before the first
>> host-to-host ARPANET connection in 1969. But Isidore did try to record
>> everything ever known in an encyclopedia that was ultimately published
>> after his death
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Gene
>>

>> Eugene S. Flamm, MD, FAANS, FACS, FASA
>> Professor of Neurosurgery
>> Chairman Emeritus
>> Albert Einstein College of Medicine
>> Montefiore Medical Center

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown