[ih] astonishing patron saint of the Internet

vinton cerf vgcerf at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 14:55:31 PDT 2021

Dear Vint

This Wednesday I am doing a brief presentation about my 1473 copy of
Isidore of Seville. *Etymologiae* at a Zoom session of the Grolier Club.

I came across this factoid which I share with you in case of the unlikely
possibility that you were not aware of it.

In 1997 Pope John Paul II declared Isidore of Seville the patron saint of
the internet. Saint Isidore died in the year 636, long before the first
host-to-host ARPANET connection in 1969. But Isidore did try to record
everything ever known in an encyclopedia that was ultimately published
after his death

Cheers

Gene

Eugene S. Flamm, MD, FAANS, FACS, FASA