[ih] Network "cutover" techniques - 1984 Old School

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 17:31:58 PDT 2021

On 08-Apr-21 07:32, Dave Crocker via Internet-history wrote:
> On 4/7/2021 12:21 PM, Jack Haverty via Internet-history wrote:
>> It took just "a few seconds" to complete the transition - a major
>> improvement to the typical times of "minutes or even hours" that was the
>> norm.
>
> In 1985, I worked about a large IBM SNA operation.  Having only the
> Arpanet as framework for doing networking, I was not prepared to hear
> that addition or removal of a node required taking down the entire
> network...

Not to mention that if the new sysgen proved to be faulty, you
could end up in a worse place than you started.

That video was laugh-out-loud material, but it didn't really
explain how they brought up the SS7 by throwing a single switch.
I guess they must have pre-installed hundreds of cables; getting
that right would have been the hard part.

   Brian