[ih] Erratum in IEN 37

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Wed Apr 7 09:04:51 PDT 2021

Joseph Touch via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:

> Almost. Like German, the ones and tens are inverted, as in:
>
> 	one thousand eight hundred three and seventy.
>
> So neither Arabic nor German speak numbers in either big-endian or
> little-endian order.

This order was used in English in the past too - have a look at the King
James bible for lots of examples. So I guess it's likely that we say
numbers the way we do because of how they are written.

> In English, “and” is inserted only for numbers with at least three
> digits when the tens are zero and the ones are not.

British English always includes an "and" before the tens and units, e.g.
"one hundred and thirty-seven" or "two thousand and one".

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot at dotat.at>  https://dotat.at/
Biscay, North Fitzroy: Variable 3 at first in north Biscay, otherwise