[ih] FTP RIP

Toerless Eckert tte at cs.fau.de
Mon Sep 28 05:33:17 PDT 2020

On Sun, Sep 27, 2020 at 10:22:15PM -0400, John Day via Internet-history wrote:
> The control connection was a Telnet connection and assumed to be ASCII. The purpose was so that commands did not get blocked behind data. Also, for TIPS, the user FTP process was you. You typed the commands.

Indeed. I remember doing this. Especially given how FTP supports third party transfers where
an operator on host A can initiate ftp transfers directly between hosts B and C. Forgot the
CLI commands though...

Pretty fundamental functionality that AFAIK are missing from other protocols after FTP.

I have not followed later development of secure ftp options, but i would be (positively) surprised
if there where cryptographic variants whereby you could set up a cryptographic B<->C connection
only using A's credentials on B and A's credentials on C.

Oh well, silly, but good business to physically set up a lot of distributed management servers
to orchestrate and pinhole traffic between remote B and C via HTTPs, when a NOCs A is on the other
side of the planet. Nobody even thinks about how better protocols could solve those problems better.

Cheers
    Toerless