[ih] FTP RIP

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Sun Sep 27 20:48:39 PDT 2020

On 9/27/2020 6:29 PM, Joseph Touch via Internet-history wrote:
> It’s been unfortunate how many of FTP’s features had to be (or still
> remain to be) reinvented in HTTP.

Aspects of that question, and that regret, seem to recur across this
body of work.

As I recall, SMTP was largely driven by a desire to have only one data
transfer, when there were multiple recipients at the same destination.
A thoroughly reasonable desire, IMO.  And yet now, SMTP tends to do
single addressee transfers, due to various handling, content and abuse
issues.

BTW, in discussions of the Web, I usually point out that while
Engelbart's work set a stage for the broad framework, Anonymous FTP was
actually the first distributed, production service on the net, for
getting access to public documents from everywhere.  And it held that
position for roughly 20+ years.

For the purpose, it was a horrible UX, of course, but still, it served
that purpose.

d/

--
Dave Crocker