[ih] Update on filtered list posts

Joseph Touch touch at strayalpha.com
Tue Sep 15 12:40:19 PDT 2020

> On Sep 15, 2020, at 12:12 PM, John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com> wrote:
>
> Joseph Touch via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org <mailto:internet-history at elists.isoc.org>> wrote:
>> PS - I would doubt the ISOC wants to make that list public. It only invites attackers to game it.
>> This is the same reason I never published the complete ruleset on other lists, e.g., to filter out non pre-approved conference announcements on E2E-interest.
>
> The first thing the censors suppress is something they don't like.
>
> The second thing they suppress is the list of things they are suppressing

All anti-spam is inherently censorship, so yes, this is censorship, to be clear.

And yes, some types of censorship hide what they filter on - specifically to prevent ‘gaming’ that mechanism.

If this offends your civil liberties, note that this this list is not a government resource.

The ISOC is censoring what they consider spam. If you don’t like that, you’re welcome to post elsewhere or provide a long-term stable, archival alternative venue where we can host the list.

Joe