[ih] Karl's post from Friday: Re: Interop as part of Internet History

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 18:55:09 PDT 2020

Dave,

The example you quote was a bit of an oddball since it was
explicitly trying to change the way documents *in the IETF stream*
used the English language. I don't think that is what we are
are discussing here.

Anyway, a test case is the way to go.

Expanding on what I scribbled last night: Even with the new
shiny modern RFC format illustrated at
https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8899.html
there are considerable format restrictions: simple monochrome
diagrams, not even grayscale, restricted use of Unicode, limited
font effects, etc. In particular, there's only SVG graphics, so
no scope for bitmap graphics such as JPG. So no historic photos.

Full disclosure: Since I'm a current member of the Independent
Stream Editorial Board, there's a good chance I would be one
of the peer reviewers.

Regards
   Brian