[ih] Karl's post from Friday: Re: Interop as part of Internet History

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 19:49:03 PDT 2020

On 14-Sep-20 13:39, John Gilmore via Internet-history wrote:
> dave walden wrote:
>> And the IEEE Annals of the History of Computing would surely like to see submission of a an anecdote (see https://annals-extras.org/anecdotes/ and https://annals-extras.org/anecdotes/writing/ ) or a longer piece submitted to the peer review process ( see https://www.computer.org/csdl/magazine/an and https://www.computer.org/publications/author-resources/peer-review/magazines )
>
> Why would any veteran of the early Internet ever submit their historical
> reminisces to a group that locks the information up behind a paywall for
> its own profit?

I'll treat that as a non-rhetorical question, because there are quite a
few reasons, unfortunately:

1) Reputation. The "Annals" is a very reputable journal with a strong
peer-review process. I'm not aware of competitor in the open-access
world for this specialization.

2) Tenure. That's a direct consequence of 1). Any academic will go for
an A-grade publication because that's what tenure committees want. (And
not only in US universities.)

3) Archival. Open-access journals, especially those without a major
institutional backer, already have a sad record of closing down and
vanishing. This has got to the point that the Internet Archive is
now looking at doing formal deals with some of them. This is not a
trivial issue:
"... 176 digital open-access journals have vanished from the internet
over the past two decades."
https://www.theregister.com/2020/09/10/open_access_journal/

4) Cost. Typically an author has to fund page charges to publish in
an open-access journal. Some universities are willing to fund this,
but not all. Whereas all universities already pay for access to
A-grade journals.

BTW it doesn't much matter whether you consider non-profits like
the IEEE or the ACM, or the for-profit publishers like Springer
or Elsevier. They all act much the same.

So what's an author to do? Well, at least the non-profits don't
forbid you to post the preprint version. Hence things like
https://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~brian/FirstCiNZ.pdf. But that
only lasts until the University drops my web site. The IEEE
version will be around indefinitely.

Effectively, the bar to creating an open-access "Journal of
the History of the Internet" is quite high, because you have to
knock off problems 1) through 4).

It would be a wonderful thing to do, however.

    Brian