[ih] Found the bug - a word to avoid....

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Sat Sep 12 23:19:52 PDT 2020

On 9/12/20 10:33 PM, the keyboard of geoff goodfellow via
Internet-history wrote:
> your truly would summarily posit that if there is one "forbidden"
> word there are likely others...?

Agreed.

> WHO decides what they are and WHY is any mail sent with any of them
> just /dev/null'd¿

My bet is a former admin that was dealing with a spite of unwanted
messages that had the trigger phrase(s) in them.

> isn't one of The Central Tenets of email: messages are never "lost"
> and if an email cannot be delivered for whatever a reason, then the
> sender of said message is summarily notified via a "bounce" message
> of some sort?

Yes.*

* I expect that SMTP successfully delivered the message from the
sender's server to the receiver's server.  So, SMTP didn't loose the email.

I speculate that the problem is somewhere in the receiving MTA or the
LDA that delivers the messages into Mailman.

> ERGO, it seems that the IH list apparatus or some part there of is
> in summary violation with This Central Email Tenet, no?

Yes and no.  See above for why.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die