[ih] Found the bug - a word to avoid....

the keyboard of geoff goodfellow geoff at iconia.com
Sat Sep 12 22:41:24 PDT 2020

thanks joe and here's what yours truly suspects is going on:

ISOC's mail lists is running PostFix, viz.:

host elists.isoc.org

elists.isoc.org has address 4.31.198.48

elists.isoc.org has IPv6 address 2001:1900:3001:11::30

elists.isoc.org mail is handled by 10 elists.isoc.org.

telnet elists.isoc.org. smtp

Trying 2001:1900:3001:11::30...

Connected to elists.isoc.org.

Escape character is '^]'.

220 elists.isoc.org ESMTP *Postfix*

quit

221 2.0.0 Bye

Connection closed by foreign host.

Postfix, like Sendmail (that yours truly runs), have Milters, viz.:

Postfix before-queue Milter support
------------------------------
Introduction

Postfix implements support for the Sendmail version 8 Milter (mail filter)
protocol. This protocol is used by applications that run outside the MTA to
inspect SMTP events (CONNECT, DISCONNECT), SMTP commands (HELO, MAIL FROM,
etc.) as well as mail content (headers and body). All this happens before
mail is queued.

The reason for adding Milter support to Postfix is that there exists a
large collection of applications, not only to block unwanted mail, but also
to verify authenticity (examples: OpenDKIM <http://www.opendkim.org/> and
DMARC  <http://www.trusteddomain.org/opendmarc/>) or to digitally sign mail
(example: OpenDKIM <http://www.opendkim.org/>). Having yet another
Postfix-specific version of all that software is a poor use of human and
system resources.
The Milter protocol has evolved over time, and different Postfix versions
implement different feature sets. See the workarounds
<http://www.postfix.org/MILTER_README.html#workarounds> and limitations
<http://www.postfix.org/MILTER_README.html#limitations> sections at the end
of this document for differences between Postfix and Sendmail
implementations...
[...]
http://www.postfix.org/MILTER_README.html

ERGO, it is further posited that the ISOC mail list MTA Postfix MTA is Very
Likely employing a "snowflake" Milter of a sort that does not like certain
words and one of those words is likely “hook-up” (Without the hyphen).

geoff
(who is still immersed in system and networking "janitoring" email gizzards)

Geoff.Goodfellow at iconia.com
living as The Truth is True