[ih] Packet Radio Software

Barbara Denny b_a_denny at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 11 16:00:53 PDT 2020

 It does look like the packet radios developed under the Packet Radio Program did not have over the air loading of software updates.  However there is a MILCOM 1990 paper entitled "Accomplishments of the DARPA SURAN Program" by David A. Beyer that mentions this capability (Dave provided the reference).  I also think I made use of this capability while preparing what may have been the last demo utilizing packet radios, in particular the LPRs. This demo was in Germany at the Warrior Prep Center.   Radios were deployed in the field for this demo and one node was at Ramstein. I might be able to track down the date for this demo if anyone is interested.

By the way, I believe the Packet Radio Program and SURAN Program had their own series of technical notes called PRTNs and SRNTNs.  SRNTNs definitely existed because there is a reference to a yet to be completed SRTN for the automatic over the air loading of software in Dave's paper.   This might help people in searches for information.
barbara