[ih] Fwd: List archives (Was: Exterior Gateway Protocol)

Dan Lynch dan at lynch.com
Tue Sep 8 11:52:23 PDT 2020

SoJack, you are asking me to recount how Interop came to be. I shall do that as quickly as I can here.

In the early 80s I was at ISI in charge of the computer facility. After a year or so there came to be a term New Computing Environment to describe the advent of personal computers and the death of timesharing!  I think Keith Uncapher coined the term, tho maybe Bob Kahn and Vint Cerf had a hand in it. Anyway fast forward a few years and I was back in Silicon Valley looking to start a company like my pals at Stanford had been doing. I looked around and noticed that the Internet was gaining traction but the nascent companies had not quite got it right. So I convinced Barry Leiner who was a program manager there in 85/86 to let me convene a 3 day workshop on TCP/IP protocols to explain them to the hundred or so implementation teams out there. I got the actual protocol designers to come to Monterrey California for 3 days. There was no company name then. I had no idea where this was going then. Needless to say the event was a success. The researchers learned of real life problems the early vendors we’re experiencing and the vendors learned a lot more about the Internet and what worked and what still needed further steps.

I now had a business of teaching (through others) the vendors and advanced customers how the Internet works. I needed a name. I took the old name above and called it Advanced Computing Environment.

A few years in to this the world really wanted to see working systems and I decided to try a trade show, with one critical addition: the systems had to be connected to an actual working Internet!  And while I was on the phone with one of my brilliant tutor people from BBN, Craig Partridge, as were were concluding the call he blurted out “I’ll see you at Interop “. I hung up the phone and called my lawyer to register the name immediately!  I had been calling it The TCP/IP Interoperability Conference and Exhibition!  Ah, simplicity.

That was in September of 1988. It had 50 vendors and 5000 attendees. In 1990 it had grown to 200 vendors and 30,000 attendees. Clearly this Internet stuff was catching on, eh?

So I sold the company and stayed on for 5 more years as the PR guy and growing it into Europe and Asia.

30 years later it still exists in about 10 locations I. The world. Not quite the same, but still stressing interoperability.

Thanks for asking, Jack.

Dan

Cell 650-776-7313