[ih] inter IMP hackery [was Recently restored and a small ARPANET was run using simulated IMP hardware, ]

Alex McKenzie amckenzie3 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 7 13:44:40 PDT 2020

 Geoff,
The NOC in the early 1970s was interested in the up/down status of IMPs, lines, and eventually Hosts, diagnosing IMP failures, and coordinating IMP software releases. The NOC also published network  traffic statistics to ARPA and via the RFC series to the NWG.  The NMC was interested in measuring the internal performance of the network under both real and artificial load, looking at things like queue lengths, packet lifetimes, maximum achievable throughputs, end-to-end delays, and so on.  In some sense they were responsible for telling ARPA whether the network BBN delivered met the specs of the RFQ.  They were also interested in comparing the actually performance to the predictions of queuing theory.  They made extensive use of traffic generation tools and statistics reporting tools built into the IMPs by BBN as "fake hosts", and collected  and analyzed the data on their Sigma-7.  Their experiments were often disruptive of network performance as seen by other Hosts, and therefore their experiment times were scheduled and controlled by the NOC.  This led to a certain degree of tension between the personnel at the NOC and the NMC, but nothing that couldn't be handled.  I believe the first publication of the NMC's work was a paper by Gerald Cole (one of Kleinrock's students) titled "Performance Measurements on the ARPA Computer Network" in the Proceedings of the ACM second symposium on Problems in the optimizations of data communications systems January 1971.
Hope this helps,Alex