[ih] inter IMP hackery [was Recently restored and a small ARPANET was run using simulated IMP hardware, ]

vinton cerf vgcerf at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 12:56:26 PDT 2020

I am pretty sure we did host/host or at least host/end-IMP (eg. send to
fake host) tests.
I generated traffic from the Sigma-7 and measured transfer rates to the
destination (fake host or possibly real-host).

We used statistical traffic generators in the Sigma-7 and IIRC there were
fake hosts that could generate traffic in accordance to statistical
parameters. We were able to collect host level and IMP level statistics
from the ARPANET. When Bob Kahn and Dave Walden came to visit UCLA in Jan
1970, I programmed a lot of different traffic patterns to test bob kahn's
hypotheses that there were certain weaknesses in the routing and flow
control algorithms of the IMPs.

vint