[ih] inter IMP hackery [was Recently restored and a small ARPANET was run using simulated IMP hardware, ]

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Mon Sep 7 12:37:25 PDT 2020

Geoff,

Re: "were their processes on (all?) the ARPANET hosts at the time that
collected data"

While I was in Licklider's group at MIT, Marc Seriff implemented a
"SURVEY" system that periodically (every 15 minutes) probed ARPANET
hosts and recorded their up/down status.  Nothing about performance,
just whether or not they were accessible.

See https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc308.txt

SURVEY was included in the "Scenarios" booklet handed out to attendees
at the ICCC conference/demo in 1972 (see page 3-4 of the brochure).
You could connect to the SURVEY system at MIT-DM and examine the
availability of ARPANET hosts from the data that was being collected.

At the time, Lick's vision included providing such data services as core
network services.   The DataComputer was the obvious place to store
Data.  At the time, I was involved in building the MIT-DM mail server,
and I had incorporated an interface to the DataComputer.  Users could
mark a message for archival, and it would be transferred to the
DataComputer for posterity.   At the time, we thought their Terabit
(!!!) of online storage was plenty for everyone.   The intent was that
"important" messages (technical reports, etc.) would be good to archive,
while ephemeral messages ("Anybody want lunch?") would not.

IIRC, the SURVEY data was also to be archived as another interesting
dataset.   But I don't remember if Marc ever implemented that, or know
if any of the DataComputer artifacts have survived.

In the early days of the Internet, we replicated some of that ARPANET
experience in the form of the CMCC (Catenet Monitoring and Control
Center), with David Floodpage as the primary implementor.  There are
historical discussions of that at least in the old BBN QTRs and maybe
some IENs/RFCs.   The CMCC was a precursor to the incorporation of the
gateways into the ARPANET NOC mechanisms so gateways were handled much
as the IMPS were.

/Jack