[ih] Recently restored and a small ARPANET was run using simulated IMP hardware.

dave walden dave.walden.family at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 11:24:14 PDT 2020

Division 6 did not become BBN Communications Corporation. Rather, the
existing BBN Computer Corporation became BBN Communications Corporation
and the part of Division 6 Bob Bressler was leading moved to the renamed
company Communications Corporation.  The more research part of Division
6 including people like Alex McKenzie, Craig Partridge, and Steve
Blumenthal remained as Division 6 along the more traditional R&D
projects; perhaps fewer people went to BBN than Communications than
stayed in BBN's Professional Services Group, a new name for what had
been just BBN.  A year or two later, this group became BBN Systems and
Technologies, and around then Divisions 4 and 6 were merged into one
division (with definite approval the ARPA IPTO people from whom we got a
lot of our work).