[ih] inter IMP hackery [was Recently restored and a small ARPANET was run using simulated IMP hardware, ]

Bernie Cosell bernie at fantasyfarm.com
Sun Sep 6 18:21:08 PDT 2020

On 6 Sep 2020 at 14:57, the keyboard of geoff goodfellow wrote:

> How were the first four IMPs (UCLA, SRI, UCSB & UTAH) managed/controlled
> until the cross country link
> to IMP #5 to y'all at BBN was installed?
> and
> What was the length of time the initial 4 ARPANET IMPs "ran" without the
> cross country link to IMP #5 in
> Boston?

i honestly don't remember -- dave or alex will know when IMP 5 was installed.  I
remember scanning the 'health reports" pouring out on the TTY.  If I had to
guess, I'd say we weren't able to do much other than talk on the phone and have
someone at the site reload the IMP from the supplied paper tape.

  /Bernie\
            Bernie Cosell
       bernie at fantasyfarm.com
-- Too many people; too few sheep --