[ih] TTL [was Exterior Gateway Protocol]

vinton cerf vgcerf at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 15:06:45 PDT 2020

no disagreement about discard - just that TTL wasn't interpreted as time
but hop count in the implementations with which I am familiar; I am sure we
discussed the possibility of making TTL a real "time to live" but clock
sync and accuracy across the Internet seemed out of reach short of relying
on NTP. When GPS came along that created a possibility of trying to sync
many clocks but I am not aware of any implementations of TTL that used such
a method.