[ih] Fwd: List archives (Was: Exterior Gateway Protocol)

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Sat Sep 5 13:28:04 PDT 2020

Thanks Dan!

There's so much of the history that didn't get recorded in RFCs and
such, and mail list archives from that era are rare.  We weren't very
good about documenting things, especially the "why" of how decisions
were made.

There's plenty of room for more participation!   Perhaps you can provide
the story behind this artifact of the early Internet?

ACE Coaster

That coaster has been sitting on my desk for close to 40 years.  The
lettering is fading, after too many attacks by marauding coffee mugs
over the decades, and a few trips to the floor courtesy of a roaming cat.

The story of ACE, and Interop which followed, is an important part of
Internet history.  There tends to be a focus on protocols and
algorithms, but innovations like Interop were, IMHO, equally important
to the success of the Internet by making it accessible to the masses and
emphasizing the importance of working systems.

Perhaps more important.   Tell us the story.

/Jack