[ih] TTL [was Exterior Gateway Protocol]

Scott Brim scott.brim at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 17:31:31 PDT 2020

On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 7:06 PM Brian E Carpenter via Internet-history <

> b) Has it ever saved the Internet?

When we blackholed traffic to HP (net 16) we didn't know there was a
problem for hours, thanks to TTL. And I remember one morning talking to
Hans-Werner Braun on the phone as we watched packets loop through net 35
and die. They had been all night. So it has definitely saved parts of it.

Purists have said that network mechanisms that obscure problems should be
avoided -- let the problems have full effect so they are fixed immediately
and don't linger as ticking bombs.