[ih] Exterior Gateway Protocol

Guy Almes galmes at tamu.edu
Fri Sep 4 08:46:54 PDT 2020

Tony, Joe, et al.,
   In addition, and again trying to keep a historical emphasis, the
original BGP design was for Border Routers that were typically one hop
from each other.

   But note that the use of TCP, while viewed as mildly heretical at the
time, brought many advantages.
   For example, experience with EGPv2 made clear that BGP would need to
support incremental updates, and TCP sessions helped with that.
   Again, as the number of network numbers / prefixes grew rapidly, TCP
supported very large (especially) initial route messages.
   Again, there were contemporary (e.g., Van Jacobson's early work) and
ongoing improvements to the performance, stability, and security of TCP,
and those strengthened BGP without the need for BGP-specific efforts.

   So I think, especially in hindsight, a very good move,
	-- Guy